Written by Barry Broom
I just showed a friend how to turn his iphone into a wifi hotspot and how to connect to it with his personal computer. I thought it wouldn’t hurt to post the process on my site. I have a iphone 4s and this procedure works for mine. I’m assuming it will also work for the iphone 4 and iphone 5.
By activating the iphone hotspot it will broadcast a wifi signal just like a wireless router. You can then connect to your iphone’s wifi signal and surf the web. The iphone uses it’s cellular signal to transmit the internet data. So it’s a perfect option if you have a cellular signal, but no access to local wifi.
The process (with pics)
If you’ve never set up your hotspot before you’ll need to follow these instructions.
1. Open your settings icon.
2. Scroll through the setting menu until you see “General”. Click on it to open the General settings.
3. Scroll down until you see “Cellular” and click on it.
4. Turn “Personal Hotspot” to the ‘ON’ position.
5. With “Personal Hotspot” set to ON – Change your “Wi-Fi Password” to 12345678
6. Your iphone should now be broadcasting a wifi signal. Go to your computer and ‘connect’ to a wireless connection. Select “IPHONE”.
7. Your computer should then prompt you to enter the network security key. Enter the digits 12345678 and click OK.
That’s basically how it’s done. It might take you a couple of tries and some head-banging on your keyboard but you’ll get it!
Hope this helps folks!